Thursday, December 24, 2009

Brendon Moeller - Process part 179


Brendon Moeller - Process part 179
24 Dec 2009

BRENDON MOELLER
My contribution to the wonderful Modyfier blog has coincided with the opportunity for me to create the first DJ mix in my new studio, in my new home, in upstate NY. Having lived in Queens, NY since 1994, I have finally escaped to the suburbs with my family. The heart of NY is not that economically viable for an artist anymore, let alone one with a family who is attempting to carve out a livelihood as a label, producer and DJ.

I decided to record this mix in real time and just let the creative muse spontaneously take me wherever it desires. Generally, most tracks that make it into my “DJ bag” are played at least 3 times, usually on a variety of systems to determine if it’s something that will work for me…and YES, I have purchased many a .wav and then discarded it after a proper listen, but thankfully in most cases it’s now possible to preview tracks in their entirety online.

I gravitated to this set of tracks in the moment because they obviously were fitting to my then state of mind and seemed like the correct choice to go with the flow of the mix. The opportunity to put together 60 minutes of music for me is a chance to escape into a magical world of music and mixing where adventure, joy, a rainbow of emotions in fact, occasionally even pain can occur. My role as the DJ is to spontaneously pull tracks and create a nonstop journey and atmosphere for the listener and myself that will hopefully transport us into that magical world rather than leave us high and dry. The imperfections, strange mixes, occasional errors and experimentation hopefully contribute to keeping it real rather than detracting from the overall vibe and intention. I had fun creating this, hopefully you will have fun listening.

The mix was performed and recorded using Traktor Pro, an Evolution UC-33 Controller, a 15” Macbook Pro, a Gigaport soundcard and a 500GB Glyph portagig drive aka DJ bag! Hope you enjoy.

Tracklisting:
01. Floating Points – Vacuum Boogie
02. Herbert – Around House
03. John Daly – Do It
04. Ooft music – In Search Of Ecto One
05. House of House – Rushing To Paradise (DJ Harvey Streets Mix)
06. LCD Soundsystem – Bye Bye Bayou (Main Version)
07. St. Plomb – Saturnic Night Access
08. Demdike Stare – Haxan
09. Pete Namlook & David Moufang – Black Sun
10. Theo Parrish – Anansies Dances
11. Billy Preston – Space Race (Beat Pharmacy Edit)
12. Manaboo – Unhuh
13. Frankie Flowerz – It's Funk, It's House
14. Lee Foss – The Edge (Original Mix)
15. Dop – The Genius of The Crowd (Original Mix)
16. The Orb – Styrofoam Meltdown
17. Donnacha Costello – Ten Thousand Hours

brendon moeller - process part 179 by modyfier

for those of you in san francisco for nye, please join brendon moeller, jonah sharp, nikola baytala and alland byallo at gray area foundation for the arts (GAFFTA). more information and tickets available here.

No comments:

Total Pageviews