Sunday, June 14, 2009

(gtc 066) Peter Van Hoesen - Get The Curse Podcast

Get The Curse Podcast
by Peter Van Hoesen
Cat#: gtc 066
Date: 08 June 2009
Format: MP3 160 kbps
Duration: 1:52:17 (128,7 MB)

French
“Time To Express. To evoke the 6 am feeling of a jackin’, bass-heavy warehouse marathon. Strobes flash, your chest is rattling, salty sweat burns your eyes and you yearn for more.”

Peter Van Hoesen (on prononce “who-sen”, toujours étrange le flamand) est ce qui me concerne l’une des bonnes découvertes de l’année dernière. Il a su, notamment au travers de son label Time To Express se forger une vraie belle identité musicale : une techno brute, sombre et presque radicale, mais toujours profonde et mélancolique.
Basé à Bruxelles, son label a été lancé l’année dernière, et on dénombre déjà à son compteur pas moins de 6 sorties. Je vous conseille notamment les “Attribute One” et “Casual Care” EPs, qui contiennent d’envoûtantes pièces techno. Peter vient également de sortir un maxi à découvrir, “Past Revisited“, sur la structure Belge Morse.
Son mix est un subtil voyage entre Detroit house, dub techno, et sonorités plus dark, minimalistes et raw, aux frontières de ce qu’on appelle aujourd’hui la “Berghain techno“.

- Tell us a few words about your mix; how and where was it recorded ?
- The mix was recorded at my studio in Brussels, using two turntables, two cd players and a mixer. The idea was to let people find out about what’s in my record bag at the moment, going from slow and deep to uptempo techno. The ideal DJ set for me is one where I can go from dubby, slow grooves to faster, more abstract techno over a period of three hours or longer.

- How would you describe a typical “Peter Van Hoesen track” ?
- Something which is always part of it is bass, be it through grumbling basslines or deep kick drums, I always find myself going back to the bass, being a bass player originally. Also, my recent tracks all have a bit of ‘dirt’ in them, for some reason I’m attracted to imperfection, so when mixing down tracks I tend to add a layer of hiss or noise via the mixing desk…it’s not always very audible, sometimes it’s hidden, but it’s always there. And lastly, as it’s techno music I’m making, there’s a fair amount of attention to rhythm of course… it’s dancefloor music after all.

- What are the future plans for your “Time To Express” imprint?
- In June there will be a release by Donato Dozzy and Cio D’Or titled ‘Menta’. Then after the summer we will release two ‘various artists’ ep’s, with new tracks and remixes from artists who previously appeared on Time To Express, as well as one or two new names. Finally there will be one more Peter Van Hoesen ep on Time To Express in 2009.

- I’ve read a few months ago that you were preparing an LP for release in November. What about it ?
- Ah, the album…It’s correct that I was preparing the album for release in November, but last month I decided to change that and take more time for it. I deleted half of the tracks and kept those ones that I felt represented my sound in a new way. The album should be more than just a collection of tracks that could have been released as seperate ep’s. A big part of the album will feature much slower bpm’s, something I’ve been interested in lately; trying to fit the Time To Express sound within slower tempo’s opens up possibilities, and I want to explore that more deeply. So right now I’m looking at releasing the album early 2010.

- Is there any chance to see you performing live in France soon ?
- There’s nothing planned at the moment, but I would love to come over. After all, I’m living in Belgium so traveling to France is easy.

Download

No comments:

Total Pageviews