The West Country based producer might not be the most prolific, but he has certainly developed a distinct sound, focusing on a forthright, swinging and smacky production style that has graced a disparate but well respected clutch of UK labels thus far. Tessela first swung into focus with Slugger, the out of the blue debut for Irish beat botherers All City, before arising with meaty contributions to the 2nd Drop label and Punch Drunk. The latter was perhaps one of our favourite 12”s on Peverelist’s all conquering label in recent times, with “Channel” in particular demonstrating a rugged panache for box jam beats and cracking MPC funk.
The early promise Tessela showed on a remix of Truss for Perc Trax will be explored further with his forthcoming remix shaped contribution to the next release on the fledgling Vae Victis imprint from Die Roh duo Luca Segato and Marco Zanin.
The scene was set for a Juno Plus podcast then, and Tessela duly obliged with a thumping hour’s worth of music that throws in a tantalising sound of what to expect from Sunil Sharpe’s EP for Blawan and Pariah’s label She Works along with contributions from Juno Plus favourites D’Marc Cantu, Gerry Read, Alex Coulton and Geeeman. Tessela was also kind enough to engage in a bout of email Q &A for us.
1. Redshape – Mucky Bones (Present)
2. Gelosten Crikel – Yamagic (Mustache Records)
3. Andy Stott – Night Jewel (Modern Love)
4. Skudge – Silent Running (Dekmantel)
5. Sunil Sharpe – Roki (Forthcoming She Works)
6. Dexter – Redbox (Dolly)
7. Gerry Read – Yeh Come Dance (Delsin)
8. Alex Coulton – Candy Flip (Idle Hands)
9. Geeeman – Bang’t (Clone Jack For Daze)
10. South London Ordnance – Fantazia (CDR)
11. John Osbourne Ft. Appleblim – Epoch 4 (Tanstaafl)
12. Sunil Sharpe – Saturana – (Forthcoming She Works)
13. Tessela Jam 1
14. Emptyset – Completely Gone (Caravan)
15. Unknown – Untitled (CDR)
16. Ad/s – Transversal (Sigha Remix) (Avian)
17. D’Marc Cantu – Another Number (Creme Organization)